The research below has provided the most recent total amount of government debt securities outstanding globally and the total amount of fixed-income securities outstanding globally. It has also provided a breakdown of the outstanding global total debt securities.
Government Debt Securities
• The outstanding global total debt securities at the end of 2021 was $143.22 trillion.
• Total debt comprises domestic debt securities and international debt securities.
• Domestic debt securities (DDS) at the end of 2021 amounted to $115.39 trillion, while the international debt security (IDS) was $27.83 for the same period.
Global Bank Deposits
- At the end of 2020, the total bank deposit liabilities were $100 trillion.
- In 2019 the total bank deposits were $86 trillion.
- The total bank deposits grew by $14 trillion from 2019 to 2020, registering a 16.28% growth rate.
- Policies put in place to accommodate the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic were significant factors contributing to such a high growth rate of total bank deposits.
- According to the European Central Bank, the increase in bank deposits was due to increased household savings. Households saved an average of 6.7% of GDP and 9.5% of disposable income.
- At the end of 2020, the deposits from non-financial companies (NFCs) were $10 trillion, registering a growth rate of 23% from the end of 2019. The NFC consists of “institutional units which are independent legal entities and market producers, and whose principal activity is the production of goods and non-financial services.”
- On the other hand, deposits from the household sector reached $19 trillion at the end of 2020, registering a 16% YoY growth from 2019.
US Bank Deposits
- As for Dec 2021, the total deposits at domestic commercial banks in the US were $18 trillion.
- Total Deposits at U.S. Domestic Commercial Banks
To provide the total global value of bank deposits and the annual growth rate, we leveraged the most reputable sources available in the public domain, including reports for BIS and the Federal Reserve. We calculated the total bank deposit liabilities growth rate for 2020 using the following formula:
Total bank deposit liabilities growth rate = (2020 total bank deposit liabilities – 2019 total bank deposit liabilities)/2019 total bank deposit liabilities * 100 = ($100 trillion – $86 trillion)/$86 trillion* 100 = 16.28%
Support provided by:
This research project was made possible by Brale.